Monday, August 11, 2014

August 11, 2014



Hi everyone!

Hah chicken Lalas! Haven't heard that in a while.

Well five minutes ago I finally saw my companion again. Elder M decided he didn't want to spend half a week with me, so he brought Elder L again (that's a joke...I hope). So I have been with the Chinese Elders since Thursday. It's fine since I really like both of them. They're fun to hang out with and work with. Then Elder Y's horrible ugly rashes that he has had for weeks were diagnosed as Pustulus Empotus or something like that (I finally made him call Sister P). Apparently its SUPER contagious, so Elder Y has been stuck in the appartment since Yesterday, and can't leave at all until Wednesday at the earliest. I drove with the Zone Leaders to Haweksbury to pick up the medications that President went to the U.S for and gave to the Assistants to give to the Zone Leaders to give to Elder Y as fast as possible (good thing President is like a gajillionair or something). My shins are really itchy so don't be surprised if I get it next. (don't worry apparently it isn't dangerous). 

So yea things have been an absolute mess for the last little while, and I've been stuck in the middle of it. I've been doing my best to make sure we at least visit the people in my area that we can, but things are still slowing down without my companion to help me. Oh well. Nothing terrible has happened, we've just not really had time to try and find new people much lately.

I've been studying Grace a lot lately. I have always wondered about how much of salvation depends on me, and how much comes from grace. Recently I've felt a more urgent need to understand it. I've spent a lot of time praying about it and studying in the scriptures about it. It started with a book called "The Worth of a Soul" that Elder Ballard had. It's about a man who was excommunicated and then came back. His struggles were much more extreme than mine, but I learned a lot from his story. 

The understanding I have arrived at starts with the scripture 2 Nephi 25:23, which is an amazing scripture and is my new favorite. The key phrase is "it is by Grace that we are saved after all we can do" The man in the book struggled for many years to overcome some very serious addictions and problems, and gave it all he had. In the end however it wasn't enough. He couldn't change WHO he was. He realized that only the Atonement can do that. His struggles and efforts brought him the faith and humility (Alma 32) to rely entirely on the Lord. In reality all of our efforts, our "works" so to speak, serve to deepen our reliance on Christ. The more we do that, the more his Grace is able to change us and make us more like Him. 

This means that YES we are saved only by the Grace of Him who is mighty to save, but it happens little by little as we do our best, see our inadequacy, and humbly turn to the Lord for help. In the end we end up being responsible for our own salvation (Phillipians 2:12) while relying on the free gift of Christ's Grace, which we can in no way pay for or earn (Romans 3).

This is what I've been learning lately. I'd appreciate any insight or direction to help me understand even better. This has been making a big difference in my life and missionary work (it also helps me understand what the heck I'm doing out here).

I love you all!
Elder Hardy


Me and Elder Y (the infected one) 






Me and Jordan's husband Kyle (we already arranged it)



No comments:

Post a Comment