Monday, March 3, 2014

March 3, 2014


Greetings from planet EVERYONEDRINKSCOFEEANDHASANiPHONE!

So I have spent the last week getting used to working in YSA. We teach only young people (obviously). They have really good questions and are very open, the problem is that they are too open to any cool idea they find. All in all it is much faster paced than Sherbrooke.

The weirdest part is the English. I have gotten so used to french that sometimes I have a hard time knowing what to say. Also it is hard to stay within the simple doctrinal truths of Preach My Gospel when my vocabulary is several thousand words rather than several hundred. All in all though I really like it.

On Saturday Elder Castrejon gave a baptismal interview for the sisters' super boss investigator, then that same investigator gave a ride the next day to our most solid investigator, Marcel, and during the car ride (without prompting and without us there) invited Marcel to Institute, the ward volleyball team, and church the next Sunday, and got him to agree to dress with a tie next Sunday. It was the most amazing display of fellowshiping that I have ever seen, and the guy isn't even a member yet. Apparently this ward is known for amazing fellowship.

That is awesome that you guys were able to go experience what me and Jordan did! I'm 100% certain you guys weren't poops like me. I wish I could have taken that trip after my mission. I think I would have appreciated it more. I'm learning out here that I have a talent for being positive and happy. It is weird. I find myself the one smiling and bouncy and ready to shrug off a trial. The best part is that rather than be upset with myself, I am so grateful to The Lord for blessing me with the strength to change. My next goal is to be outgoing and willing to talk to anyone. My inspiration is Elder Messinger. He is our roomate and zone leader. He is an even bigger nerd than me (we have a lot of fun talking) and was apparently the shyest person ever at the beginning of his mission. Now however he has worked himself to the point where he has no fear talking to anyone. My goal is to be like him.

So no one in my new apartment has the right cord, so I can't send pictures for a while. I haven't been taking too many lately anyway.

I can't wait to hear Tanner's call. I am sure he is coming here. There is no better mission than the Canada Montreal Mission, and Tanner is surely one of the best the Lord has got right now, so he will come here. That is my guess.

As for Jordan, keep it up. I have had a very powerful week spiritually. I have begun to learn more about what the atonement means. I used to think the Atonement was there to help me feel better when I mess up, but I am beginning to understand that it is there to help me BE better. If I do not have goals of self improvement and if I am not asking the Lord to help me improve who I am, I am not using the Atonement. I am not washing my garments clean in his blood. The feeling better part really comes when we can look back at our mistakes and realize we are not the same person that did those things. A part of that has been learning to see the Atonement as a means of progression, and not just a solution to the problem. So the point of all this Jordan, is that the goal is not to pray to God and suddenly become a missionary, but to pray for strength as we strive to change and become a missionary. Also a big part of this is accepting progress made, rather than focusing entirely on what is left to improve. Setting goals that are possible but still stretch us is probably one of the most important skills to learn. I am still not good at it. I really wish I would have listened when my parents tried to teach me all this. I guess I was just too proud at the time. Humility is really the key to everything. If we are too proud to change, we can in no wise inherit the kingdom of heaven. 

I'm starting to preach now I'm sorry. I'll stop. So that is what I have been learning this last week. I love all you guys. I can't wait until all three older kids are out at the same time! What a great opportunity to be providing the Lord with three full time servants at once! I am so proud of our family, though I guess I was the only one anyone had to worry about, and I ended up coming out. I can honestly say that I came out because I knew I was supposed to, but I have stayed out because this is where I want to be.

Love 
Elder Hardy

No comments:

Post a Comment