Tuesday, November 11, 2014

November 10, 2014


Paige is adorable

Wow those pictures of Paige are just adorable! I'm sure she did amazing!! Lizzie looks so cute too in her little wings.

Well Lizzie is my last hope to have another sensible musician in the family. Oh well, I tried (jokes). In reality my singing ability has greatly improved on my mission because it's the only instrument I really have out here. Maybe I'll go out for choir and band when I get back to BYU. Good thing that's a million years away...

Speaking of singing this weekend was Stake Conference and our ward did the music for the Saturday session. We did a super awesome, but way too hard for the choir in question, rendition of "Au Grande Prophete" (Praise to the Man). The tenors were great, but we were too loud because we were the only section that knew the part. The song ended on an F above middle C for the tenors so I decided to blow the top off of the Stake Center. Luckily I was the only one who could really hit the note, so it sounded good I think. 

To respond to your question about service, we are looking for community service opportunities, but mostly just keeping our eyes peeled for unplanned opportunities. A good example of how it works was last Wednesday we were doing pass-byes in the afternoon in Saint-Francois. This normally isn't a good use of time, but we felt that it was the right thing to do. No one was home at any pass-byes and no one on the street had been interested, then we pulled up on a certain street to pass-bye a former. The former had been dropped due to a complete lack of progression, and normally we wouldn't have passed by him without calling in his case, but for some reason we had gone to his street. We sat in the car for a bit without saying anything when we got to the street. After a few minutes Elder S asked why we were still sitting there. We had no idea. We got out of the car and saw a man raking his leaves who hadn't been there when we pulled up. We grabbed our bags and literally ran to ask if he needed help. He accepted and randomly had an extra rake. I grabbed the rake and started raking with him while Elder S started bagging the leaves. It took about 25 minutes to finish and the whole time we talked about his life, his family, his home in Haiti (all in French I'll have you know). At the end we asked if he'd be interested in hearing our message and he accepted gladly. We haven't managed to teach him quite yet, but soon my friends, soon. It was such a huge testimony to me of the power of service. I could have walked up to him and just contacted him and left. I would have fulfilled my purpose technically, but we're here to serve man (lol) and the spirit had led us to this man not to be like "Hey, Hey you! Join our church!"  He sent us literally in response to his prayers for help, and used our service to open his heart to learn about the restored gospel.

That was a long story. I can't help but tell it as excitingly as I can.

As for being in charge, it's going good. I'm trying to figure out how to be nice to the Sisters without being TOO nice and friendly like their last district leader. As for phone calls, they still make my stomach drop, but It has been a long time since that feeling stopped being enough of an obstacle to keep me from doing them. 

I know that the gospel we live is the true gospel of Jesus Christ. I know that he will come again to the earth, and the joy we will feel at his coming will surpass all the emotions we can experience in our mortal lives. I love you all so much! Never forget who we are. We are God's converted disciples. We are all he has with regards to ground troops. Its up to us to go get the dirty work done so the spirit can testify and convert.

Love!
Elder Hardy 

No comments:

Post a Comment