Monday, December 9, 2013

December 2, 2013


 Hello all!!

My new companion is Elder Wilbur. He is from the same place as Elder Murphy (Anahiem, but Elder Murphy is from Irving which is very close) and came in on the same transfer. He is a lot more chill that Elder Murphy and is really the perfect second companion. He still works hard and follows the rules, but he knows how to relax when it is time to relax. So far we are getting along swimmingly. 

As for the work in Sherbrooke, we found out yesterday that Jimmy thought that quitting smoking meant reducing his smoking, so he is going to take a little longer to get baptized. Carol on the other hand has actually quit smoking and is looking very good for the 20th of December (her birthday. She missed it last year and insisted on waiting a year to get baptized.) Her conversion is very impressive, and she showed us for the first time the books she has been writing. She has written thousands of pages on various gospel topics, including a book with one chapter for each gospel principles lesson. That woman studies hard. Me and Elder Wilbur have only knocked one door so far, but we got a new investigator from it. That is what I call an effective use of time.

One effect of losing Elder Murphy is that my confidence is growing. Not only can I know begin to apply what he taught me, but Elder Wilbur doesn't know the area yet, so I have been leading out everything so far. In the next couple days that will change, but it has been a big boost to be leading lessons, and realizing that I can do it.  The thought of being the senior companion is not quite as frightening as it was before.

I have seen miracles here in Sherbrooke, and I have seen my testimony grow so much in these past four months or so that I can hardly believe it. I know that the gospel is true. I have a testimony of Bishops. I have had the privelege of being there when Bishop Desjourdy (who looks like a cross between Dad and Brother Braun) recieves revelation for the ward. He truly holds the keys to advance the work. I am proud that my own father is worthy to hold this responsability. 

Questions:
1.  What is your new companion's name?  Where is he from?  Has he served in Sherbrooke before?
            Elder Wilbur, California, no
2.  Did anyone cook you American boys a Thanksgiving Dinner?
            Yes, brother Skene from Anahiem cooked us an American thanksgiving.
3.  Have you had a chance to sing or play the piano yet on your mission?
            The last Sunday before Elder Murphy and Ruby left we sang silent night in French
4.  Tell us about something that you learned this week in your personal study...
            Haven't had much personel study time this last week. We had too many morning appointments.
5.  Does your car have good tires?
            Yes. We had to buy them and it was a mess that took two hours.
6.  Does your new companion like to cook?
            Not really. We do about 50/50 of the cooking. Mostly rice and sausage still
7.  How is the language coming?  Are you dreaming in French?
            Fluency eludes me yet, but I can talk to people without too much struggle. Also I have started to use certain phrases that are shorter in French without thinking. Only one dream though, about Elder Murphy making a grammer error in front of a bunch of people.
8.  Have you had a neat teaching experience this week that you want to tell us about?
            We had a lesson with Carol where she basically told us about how nervous she is, and I was able to use the scriptures to help respond to her fears.
9.  Are you remembering how much your family loves you and how proud we are of you?
            Yea. I try not to dwell on you guys too much, because it gets painful if it goes on too long.
10.  Is there anything you need that we can do for you?
            I need you guys to pray for Jimmy and Carol. Carol is doing better than Jimmy, but they both need our prayers.

p.s: Dad the quote is "Forget yourself and go to Work"

Now a picture or two: Me and Elder Wilbur



Me on splits with Elder Ellis, the new Zone Leader.

No comments:

Post a Comment