Monday, July 1, 2013

June 24, 2013

So I now have permission from Elder Hardy to just post his letters! I will start with the second one we received on June 24, 2013.



Hello peoples. I'll start by answering the questions. My p-days start even earlier than normal days, because we like to leave for the temple at 6 and get into a less crowded session. Normally temple attendance is regular, but the temple will be closed after this week for the remainder of my stay for cleaning. After that we have breakfast, then time to take care of anything we need to do, like shining shoes or taking a shower (that's a joke). At 12:45 we start our laundry and it takes several hours because finding two open machines is virtually impossible. P-day ends at 6 and we go to class and study for the rest of the day. You didn't see me in the broadcast because I wasn't in the choir. Like I said, only those who got here the week before me could be in it. Lots of people just cheated, but we decided not to. The broadcast was still amazing, and my seats were pretty good. If you go to the LDS website the cover picture for the broadcast has sister Norris in it along side two of the other sisters in our district. They are right on the divide between Elders and Sisters towards the top of the picture (they didn't cheat, a few sisters were allowed to be an exception and they were among them).
As for our zone, everyone is leaving today except us, so we will be alone for a day or so. On Wednesday we are getting a full refill, leaving our district as the oldest in the zone. Elders Mena and Critchfield are the zone leaders now (they're in our district) and my companion Elder Artica is district leader. Our days are spent largely in two giant blocks of class instruction, which also includes teaching teachers playing the role of one of their investigators on their missions. It is all in French and starting this afternoon we cannot have notes. Our first lesson happened our first Friday and was entirely in French. Our district is also part of an experiment to see if it is possible to learn French even faster so the stay can be shortened. We will be staying 6 weeks still, but if we do well then others might only stay 3 or 4. I hope that aunt Sarah recovers well, and I'm glad the trip went well. I got you guys's hand written card, and Ronnie the password to my ipod is: get your own ipod.
Another thing about the broadcast is that the stake President from the story about Tampa, Florida is President Patrick, my mission President. We met him on Saturday, and he seems like a truly wonderful person. He and his wife have 8 kids, so our family seemed rather small in comparison.
With regards to my needs I could really use a nail clipper and (you were right Mom) another short sleeve shirt.Otherwise I am fine. I got the cookies, and all the Elders that are leaving gave us all their food so we have tons. I hope everyone is doing all right. I'm really anxious to get out to the real mission and start teaching, but I need more French first.
That's all I've got. Bonne Journee!

Wow I just found an open computer so I still have a few minutes of e-mail time left so I'll keep writing. I understand what you guys meant when you said the food was abundant, but it really isn't that good. I'm still in better shape than my companion, who nearly throws up if the rice is undercooked. His problem is that he has never lived away from home before, so he is used to his mother's Peruvian cooking, and so he has no stomach for true cafeteria food. I'm eating fine, I don't think my weight has really changed. We have quite a bit of junk food, but we also get quite a bit of exercise walking around so it sort of balances out. I'm sitting here waiting for my laundry to dry. The machines are questionable. They are the kind of model that requires you to pour your detergent directly on your clothes. People often come way before their scheduled time, so it can be hard for those of us who come at the correct time to find machines.
I don't think I mentioned the one last thing I'm missing. I could really use another pair or two of athletic socks. I only have four and I have at least one oppertunity to dress in sneakers every day except Sunday.
 I think that covered everything. Good bye for real now.

No comments:

Post a Comment