Monday, July 15, 2013

July 15, 2013


Hello again.

I have one more Monday until I leave. We leave next Tuesday. We have to be loaded and ready by 3:30 a.m. I am allowed to make a phone call from the airport, but will likely only have time for it at around 5:30 Provo time. Sorry but it's all I can manage. Thanks for sending the phone card, I was going to buy one today, but this works just as well.

Reno!!?? That's awesome. I am sure that he'll have a great experience. Eric is even more reserved than me about spiritual things, but I know that his testimony is very strong. He, like me, will be able to draw on the things that his mother taught him and find courage and faith.

I wish I could be there for Dakota's play. It sounds like a marvelous missionary experience and opportunity to raise money. With regards to your questions, all of the missionaries going to Montreal will be traveling in one huge group. My companion somehow ended up as the group leader, and he is somewhat nervous because he has never flown without his parents before. No I am not sad to leave the MTC. It was a great experience here, but I am eager to test my faith in the field, and to begin sharing the gospel with real investigators. On Thursday I started reading "Jesus the Christ." I'm just about finished. It is the most incredible book I have ever read (sans the Book of Mormon).

The Language training is going well. It could go even faster I believe if Speak Your Language was emphasized more, and the computer program TALL was abolished. The biggest struggle is becoming comfortable with using the tenses and grammar in speech. Not even the most diligent missionary can keep his eyes open for an entire hour of TALL, even with a recording on LDS.org of Elder Holland speaking in the background. 

As is implied by my earlier statements, we have our travel plans. It should take us most of the day, but not the abysmal 26 hour nightmare the missionaries bound to France have to endure. Our investigators are doing okay. We've struggled with commitments since we keep running out of time before we can introduce the commitment logically. All we have managed to do is get them to come to church. We asked them both to be baptized within the first two lessons, but both declined pending further witness.

I have no minor miracles or profound personal revelation to share this week. Only a testimony that, as a servant of the Lord, as long as I remain worthy, the spirit will bear witness of my testimony, and justify my words in the hearts of those I teach. 

I saw Dylan for the last time yesterday. He left for Texas early this morning. I got a couple of pictures with him, and the sisters in the district told me that I had to give him a hug; so I did. Speaking of pictures I have been taking them, but can't send them until I get into the field. The protections on the computers here are such that only SD card adapters work. The card on my camera does not come out, so I have to wait for later to send them via USB cord.

I hope Paige and Tanner enjoy their trek and Ronnie and Dad enjoy scout camp. I can't say that I envy them though. One of the joys of a mission is a two year exemption from any obligation to camp. I hope they will be all be home next Tuesday so that I can talk to them. I'm sorry if Tanner's letter hasn't arrived yet. My life got busy and I couldn't send it until Friday morning. Next up is Paige. I'll try to send the letter more quickly this time. Did Jordan get my letter? How is Jordan? There is no mention of her in the e-mail.

I met the older Colvin son on Sunday. He got in on Monday and is headed to Sweden I think. Oh yeah, I am wearing my back-up glasses because I put my glasses on my bed, forgot they were there, then literally jumped into my bed. It looks like the lenses just came out and the frame bent a bit. I am mailing them back along with a nice stitched thingy that Grandma sent me. I don't really have room in my luggage for it, so I'll enjoy it when I get home. 

Thanks so much for the food!! I was starving. Naturally the package arrived within hours of me deciding to try and eat healthier, but I guess my commitment will have to wait till this bounteous food is gone. Speaking of food, I really want a Baconator. Oh well. Apparently the food in Montreal is exceptionally good, and I am excited about that. 

Speaking of things learned of Montreal, apparently Montreal and the area of southern Quebec is one of, if not the most diverse place in the world. One of our teachers served in our mission and said they taught people who spoke: French, English, Spanish, Mandarin, Creole, Hungarian, German, Portuguese, Japanese, Thai, Cantonese, Finnish, Arabic, and that we could expect to find others. In the city itself the mission apartments are stocked with material in dozens of languages. Obviously French is the most common, and many who speak other languages also know French, but he told us a story about trying to teach a very curious investigator who only spoke Hungarian. One of the other teachers who served there was assigned to learn French, but also picked up Spanish while he was out, and came back able to speak Spanish well enough to hold a conversation. The amazing thing is that that teacher spent almost half of his mission in the English portion of the mission and still came back with two new languages.

This week I have a challenge for the family. I want the family to read 2 Nephi chapter 2 together, and pick out every individual principle of the gospel that Lehi teaches. Then divide out from those principles all that were lost or badly misinterpreted during the Great Apostasy. My hope is that you will gain an increased understanding of the value of the Book of Mormon. Within this one chapter (which is one of the best chapters in scripture) many of the misconceptions and confusions of the Apostasy are dispelled, and the truth taught simply as if to a child (for they are in fact directed at Jacob, who could not have been much older than Ronnie at the time).

Another thing about the Book of Mormon that I have come to realize is the omnipresence of Christ. Every book testifies of Christ. Even the Book of Omni contains the powerful testimony of Amalicki of the truth of Christ's divinity.

I'm glad to have heard from you guys. I'm cutting a little short in order to write to Dylan as well. 
Till next week,
Elder Hardy

No comments:

Post a Comment